Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Bit of Self Compassion

I am the first to say that, I am my greatest critic and that anything that has been said about me in the world, I have said worse to myself.  I can be difficult to give ourselves room to breath and be kind to ourselves when we make a mistake or come up short in what is expected.

In the quiet morning hours before the world arises
I sink in and draw into my heart
A little prayer of hope and unconditional love
Gifted first to another and then myself
On the fringes of my being
I might begin to understand compassion

I am expansive in my gifting to another
And miserly to myself..
So I am not able to love so greatly
What I have to give becomes empty
In the treatment that I give myself.

In that next moment and breath
I face myself again
And let light shine into those dark places
I find the gift again
Bestowing a greater kindness than I have ever imagined
I begin to feel a bit of my own compassion
In the quiet morning before the world arises.



No comments:

Post a Comment